Electronic Sow Feeding
Electronic Sow Feeding is used for sows kept in pen gestation. Electronic sow feeders provide all the benefits of being able to manage your sow’s feed intake individually, while giving the sows freedom to move and the comfort of living in a group environment.
The CallMatic Pro system will work well for both stable and dynamic groups and can be adapted to fit any space requirement. CallMatic pro can also work with either dry or liquid feed and offers several options to make management simpler, including sorting, color marking, and heat detection.
How does Electronic Sow Feeding work?
Basic Feeding Procedure
- A sow may enter the station when the entrance door is open.
- As she passes a light barrier, the entrance door is shut behind her automatically.
- The sow is identified at the trough by the RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) ear tag.
- If the sow is entitled to feed, the flap covering the trough opens and small feed portions are dispensed into the trough until she has eaten her total ration or until she leaves on her own.
- She can then pick up her remaining ration at another visit.
- If the identified sow is not entitled to feed (because she has already eaten her complete ration), the trough flap stays shut and the entrance door is reopened, so that the next sow may enter and drive out the sow in the station.
Big Dutchman feeding stations let sows feel secure as the entrance gate closes behind them, and noise reducing panels separate them from the other sows, allowing them to eat in peace. This reduces stress for the sows and increases harmony among the group, leading to improved overall health, well-being, and body condition for each sow.
Sows can enter feeding station any time of day
If a sow has not eaten her entire ration for that day already, the trough flap will open and feed is dispensed.
Feed is dispensed in small portions
Sows can call for small amounts of feed several times a day or they can eat their total ration for the day all at once. Should a sow not have a big appetite or not want her entire daily ration at once, she can leave and return to demand her remaining ration later.
Advantage: the next sow to enter the station will never obtain larger amounts of feed from the previous sow because the portions of a single dosage are only between 3 and 4 ounces (80 – 120g) big.
Water is dispensed with every portion of feed
To make feed intake easier and more pleasant for sows, a small amount of water is dispensed into the
trough with every feed dosage.
An optional device is used to mix and feed minerals, vitamins, prophylactics and medication or other
feed additives in pulverized form. It is installed on top of the feeding station.
Call Our Team to Learn More!
Group housing can provide the best environment for your animals when managed properly. And with ESF you can control exactly what your sows are eating, leading to better performance overall. Our team of experts is waiting to help you find the best solution for your barn. Give them a call today!